Monday, April 27, 2009

Save the Vowels and the Spellings!

Are you tired of reading 'code' language like "hws u", "i m gr8, sup wid u?", "mes m immd"Well, I am. 

Why are most of the people hell bent upon destroying English? Why don’t they use the grammar someone made with so much of pain? Have they already forgotten all the trouble they had learning tenses and other syntactical rules? Well if they did spend so much time in learning and improving their English, why not spend some more in typing it? 

Most of the people have totally shifted from a clean English to a totally full of slang and hard-to-digest English. The SMS seems to be the root cause, I believe. Imagine somebody SMSing you "Hpy Brdy" on your Birthday and you having to devote time to actually decipher it! (somebody actually wished me this way :-X) In my opinion, these people are just lazy. They use it to save themselves time and effort, yet it takes me double the time to read what they are saying. So I have to spend more time/effort, just because they are lazy? In trying to save time and money, they've compressed the sentences and words like they're some pathetic little .zip or .rar files. Please remember that the rest don’t have WinZip and WinRar fitted in their brains to decode this kind of a language; at least I don’t! 

Now what this has done is, severely affect their English spellings and pronunciations. I, myself, completely hate messing up with my spellings and grammar; not that I'm perfect with it, but at least I make a sincere effort in trying to be close to one! Again, I'm not expecting everybody to spell Connoisseur or Phlegmatic or Repertoire or Trousseau with sheer ease, but for god's sake at least don't goof-up with Definition or Grammar or Occasion or Vacuum! It just irks me when somebody misspells 'easy' words in spite of having all the tools in the world to check and correct them (read: use the Spell-Check option after typing anything, for once, please!) 

Hence, I'm a part of "Save the Vowels and the Spellings" movement - doing rounds on the Internet! It expects no flashy, flowery or snazzy English - A simple, not-so-hard-on-the-brain usage - without omitting the vowels and no spelling mistakes will be just fine :-) Join in.

7 comments:

  1. A very good dictionary that sits in your system tray is Wordweb, which is free and which you can download here:

    http://wordweb.info/free/

    The best part about this dictionary is that you can Ctrl + Right Click on any word anywhere on your screen (even if it's part of an image!) and it will show you the meaning!

    I have been using Wordweb for a couple of years and have found it to be an indispensable tool!

    Good post, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! This is something that is absolutely necessary, considering the present situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my pet peeves. Thank you for writing about this!! Now maybe some of those transgressors will read this and repent....you know who you are!|...(deep breaths)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel that people should avoid misuse and overuse. Misuse as in using such language while writing formal mails which does no good for your reputation :) .. Also if you do overuse of such short cuts you end up using them everywhere .. So I guess everything in moderation :) ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post,..I do agree with you to some extent..I'm saying 'some extent' because I use abbreviations quite liberally myself..Yet to wish someone 'hpy brdy'is a tad inappropriate. What's next-A missed call to wish 'hpy brdy'?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I swear, man! It does irk me.But only when you have the space to write them,like in your emails or notebooks or whatever.But you know,using them in smses is not so bad.You should take a look at my cell phone bill this month :-O and since its still my parampujya who's paying all my bills,I'm more than willing to make that sacrifice of vowels!

    ReplyDelete