Friday, June 12, 2009

Joyful Noise

Joyful Noise - that's the name of the Gospel music concert my friends from the Poona Music Society (PMS) had invited me for yesterday...and I must say, it was an experience of the sorts! I'd never been to a Gospel concert before and was very keen on experiencing one. After having queried them about what it actually was going to be like, I was a bit unsure whether or not to attend it - "They're going to be singing hymns!" :-O I thought it must be like a church mass or something similar to that...until another friend of mine said they're going to be singing these hymns with guitars and drums! I imagined a head-banging Rock concert just then...but, it was a completely different scenario when I actually got there - it was neither like a Choir nor a Rock band... ...it was a blend of everything - there was Western Classical music, Acappellas: that's music without instruments (thanks to 'Programme Schedule and Guides' they were distributing at the entrance), Solo performances, Indian Classical music...just to name a few items from the feast we'd in store! I was speechless to see an 18-year-old Austrian - Anke sing a ballad, and she sounded just like Whitney Houston :-D There was also this guy Daniel with a sight impairment, who played the Grand Piano, not allowing the his impairment to cause any sort of hindrance. All of these people were the finalists of Gospel music contests held in different parishes in various countries all over the world (The ones performing here were primarily from Austria, Hungary, Germany and Italy). Couldn't have asked for a better evening :-) The next time you get to hear LIVE Gospel... please don't miss it! And those interested are most welcome to be a part of the Poona Music Society (PMS), of which I'm a member.

1 comment:

  1. I remember being surprised myself at the sheer joy and energy that exists during gospel music 'sessions' at churches.....seemed very contrary to my image of a serene atmosphere at churches. Its very cool that you got to experience this!

    ReplyDelete