Saturday, June 20, 2009

Inspiring Mov(i)e

This post comes in the wake of the newspaper story of one Mr. Banerjee getting inspired by the movie Swades – giving up lucrative offers in the US and returning to India to start an English-medium school for the rural people. I really appreciate his move – risky but worth following. Just a few days before this story was in the news, I stumbled upon a poll to decide the most inspiring Bollywood movie of recent times and the result was... ...Rang De Basanti According to the poll, the standings were - 1) RDB 2) Swades and Taare Zameen Par 3) Lakshya 4) Lage Raho Munnabhai and A Wednesday About RDB, I thought it was an interesting movie, and I did see the movie twice after its release, but the movie did not inspire me to do anything different. My vote went to Lakshya. Not for Kargil, not for patriotism, not for Farhan Akhtar, not for Hrithik Roshan, not for anything fancy. But for these very simple lines that Romi's (Preity Zinta) dad says to Karan (Hrithik Roshan)...
"Tum jo bhi karo achha karo. Agar scientist bano toh achhe scientist bano. Agar ghaas kaatne wale bano toh achha ghaas kaatne wale bano. Warna kya faayda?" (Whatever you do, do it well. If you become a scientist, be a good scientist. If you become a grass-cutter, be a good grass-cutter. Otherwise what's the point?)
I love that movie for these lines. I really did wake up and feel different the next day. About my hobbies, about my… About everything actually. PS: Had overheard this while exiting the cinema hall after watching Swades: "Bass re...GRE, MS cancel" :-D

3 comments:

  1. truly, swades is inspiring. But i like the movie more for actually good acting by SRK. otherwise he is actually shitty in any other movie, starting from dil to pagal hai and similar movies. He seems like a clown in them. Well, actually those movies are really crap!!!! But I agree, the lines from Lakshya should be far more impressed upon the minds of people and reiterated again and again, really!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Rohan , i also vote for Lakshya. Those two lines and the scene in which Hritik confesses to his dad abt his love for him is worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My vote goes to Lagey Raho Munna Bhai.. Really awesome movie and gives nice message at the end. Even i like the Lakshya. The message given by Romi's dad resembles my personality(that you can understand well after doing couple of Projects with me). Also some of the songs of the movie are quite inspirational (Lakshya ko har haal me pana hai..., Kandho se milte hai kandhe...). Overall impact of the movie is nice.

    ReplyDelete