Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Emperor Strikes Back!


The very long and agonizing wait was all worth it, Roger. The pains and heart-breaks of losing Wimbledon and Australian Open... the uncertainty for months of drought for a title... when everyone thought you’re on your way out... the doubts for years if you could be called the Greatest Of All Time without a French Open title to complete the other 3... Now, the score is settled. Even if for now this is just your second title for the year, it's the sweetest one that you've got.
"[In the modern game], you're either a Clay-court specialist, a Grass-court specialist or a Hard-court specialist...or you're Roger Federer" - Jimmy Connors
 
I just love it when a champion who is put down by everybody comes back to show his true class - to serve a reminder to people that they didn't make him the champion that he was (I'd say is) and there's no way that they are the ones who write him off. Super show, Roger.
 
In fact, Roland Garros 2009, I thought, was Roger's worst display at a Major with respect to his usual dominance and he literally scrapped past in a couple of matches leading to the Final; but the Final had its own touch of Federer-magic, regaining ascendancy before long. Although many, before yesterday's triumph, considered not having won the French Open to be a disaster for him, he's had 20 consecutive semi-final or better appearances in Grand-slams guys - that's bloody consistency for you - not just a stat! And now - beware of the wrath of The Emperor in the year 2009 - 16 at the end of the year - WOW! :-)
 
If I may say so myself, it's an honour to live in the same era as the GREATEST Tennis player ever! Immortality!

3 comments:

  1. Party time for 'Roger'! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hats off to champion. Now need to put cherry on ice-cream by winning his own Wimbledon. And I am sure he will...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all were expecting a post after that victory.
    Fedex is the greatest.

    ReplyDelete