Friday, February 6, 2009

A Lil Grammar...

Somewhere I read that the usage, for eg. "taller than me" is supposedly wrong and we're supposed to say "taller than I" or "taller than I am". Same goes for all kinds of comparison! Well, seems logical and I have tried to consciously imbibe that into my lingo and ensure that I don't go wrong there. Suddenly when I decided to post this, I began to have my own doubts, regarding the authenticity of it all. So anyone care to enlighten me on this? Anyone having better language sense than me or should I say better language sense than I? HELP!

1 comment:

  1. First of all, 'e.g.' is an abbreviation of the Latin Phrase 'exempli gratia' which means 'for example'. So using 'for' before 'e.g.' is redundant.

    Saying "taller than me" is not exactly wrong. It depends on what you are comparing. "He is taller than me" and "He is taller than I am" are both correct, where the former is formal and the latter is informal. So either can be used interchangeably.

    It is hard to generalize when to use which phrase. But if not used carefully, they can mean different things. Consider the following example for a better idea:

    He likes Cricket more than I [do].
    Meaning: He likes Cricket more than I like Cricket.

    He likes Cricket more than me.
    Meaning: He likes Cricket more than he likes me.

    I hope it makes sense. This is as far as I know. It is quite possible that I have missed some point or mentioned a wrong one.

    Again, you have made us think. This is what I like about your posts. An interactive blog which makes us do Something about Everything...

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete