Monday, August 17, 2009

So BE It, Then!

Ladies & Gentlemen, may I've your kind attention please...
Mr. Rohan Pandit of the Modern College of Engineering has successfully completed the 4-year course of Bachelor of Computer Engineering (in 4 years!) and is now (much to his delight) a First Class Computer Engineer!
* applause *
He wishes to have a few words with you all, gathered here on the occasion of Grad Day.
Can we have Mr. Rohan Pandit on stage please...
Thank you :-)
Hello,
First of all, thank you all for the good wishes :-) I'd like to start with a unique piece of coincidence my friend Harshad pointed out -> we started Engineering (F.E.) on 17th August 2005 and completed it (B.E.) on... you guessed right - on 17th August 2009. If for no significance, just a piece of statistic all the same.
I, here, have been asked to live over the experience of all the four years of Engineering, in what 10 minutes time... a rather daunting task, I believe. I'll try my level best to come up with it...
At the start, I would be lying if I were to tell you that I wasn't part of the bandwagon to join the Engineering course after 10+2... and almost repented it through the entire First Year (F.E.)! Though scrapped through with a First Class in the first sem, I'd battle-Royale with the M-A-D (Math II, Applied Mechanics, Drawing for the non-Engineers) demons in the next; and did it live up to the expectations! Overpowered M, but failed to do it against A & D (I assure you nothing was Angelic about it ;-) )! I wouldn't disrobe my friends of the silken pleasures of D-Day by describing about those three.
All-in-all a good year to understand that irrespective of what you study, how much you study, there's hardly any guarantee that you'll succeed in the final exam, unlike the exams uptil 10+2!
Move on to the Second Year (S.E.) and here I was actually studying what was related to my branch. Made new friends, came to terms with the dreaded thing called Submissions, etc.
Definition of Submissions: Bring out the best in an Engineer...and the worst in a Human Being...
Even learned new tips & tricks on how to claim programs/codes, which you conveniently stole from your seniors, as yours :-D Other than that, it wasn't much of anything else that year - more of confined to the four walls of the classroom :-(
Third Year (T.E.) was very different, exciting and topsy-turvy than the previous two years: with all the active participation in the extra-curriculars, college tech-event, Campus Placements, et al. I needn't tell you that all helped me immensely - in their own ways.
Just when I thought I was "settling" into the "Engineering lifestyle", there had to be another hiccup :-( This time, I would be the last one even to mention it, leave aside describing it. Two things I learned from it - my relation with a pendrive will never be the same again and completely understood the meaning of the saying "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" :-(
Campus Placements the next semester more than made up for it. I'd the privilege to be part of a fantastic and enthusiastic team: at the helm being Prayag. In Ameya, Vrushali, Rohan, Ritvik, Parishrut, Pankaj and Ravi I'd found some very good friends. All those early-mornings, mundane-afternoons and late-nights (working ;-) ) are completely unforgettable!
The initial few days of the Final Year (B.E.) were majorly spent in search of a sponsored Project. Luckily we got it without much fuss. After the initial brainstorming over the platform to work on and the Project title to select, we had an added excuse to bunk college (you're not supposed to attend college in the Final Year, remember?!) I'm not sure if we created a record by not attending a single Lab in the Final year, but we undoubtedly had the best times of our life then: class trip to Mahabi being of prime mention.
The Project customarily gathered momentum in the the 2nd sem after a lull in the 1st sem. The entire Project was one thing our group of three did sincerely in all the 4 years!
Studying for the final exams in the last PL seemed an eternity and obviously the most boring thing to do (as if it was different in the rest of the 7 PLs :-P)... and finally the ordeal had to end, allowing the birds to fly free...!
Last but not the least, it would have been mighty tough for me alone to trudge this arduous path hadn't it been for my comrade-in-arms Ranjit Raje who stood beside me during the high & lows... every moment, literally! Thanks for that Ranj, your companionship has been priceless... and I hope will continue to be so :-) (so much for the Sholay-type friendship :-P) To rest of my friends, seniors... all those who helped me during the last 4 years - a BIG Thank You! Oh BTW, where's the party tonite? ;-)
* applause *
That was Mr. Rohan Pandit for you, Ladies & Gentlemen...
PS: Excuse me for the self-appreciating applause

9 comments:

  1. very nicely written ... nicely drafted and quiet filling.. well done mate and congrats on the degree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats again!! Very succinctly written, enjoyed reading about your four years.

    Except for the 'disrobe my friends of the silken pleasures of D-Day'line....now for a moment I thought I was in a Jackie Collins novel...hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one dude and Congrats on becoming BE .. that too with flying colours I may add :D

    Please remember to fill your convocation form unlike yours truly :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent blog....it was certainly a journey down the memory lane....n thanks a lot to you too,long live our friendship....cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the whole ushering-onto-stage setup! Another excellent post. And my best wishes for the upcoming endeavours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, now it really doesn't surprise me when you write a post with a totally different feel to it.
    Congrats, once again!
    But you know, if you had been in IT rather than Comp., the title would have had another dimension to it - So BE IT, Then!

    ReplyDelete
  7. heyy boi......congrats!!

    *applause* :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Applause! An engineer will really know the joy behind this emotion. (Jyaacha jalta, tyalaach kalta!)
    Just that our engg. started on Aug. 16th, not 17th!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i must rate this as the BEST blog of yours. Truly amazing.....well done

    ReplyDelete