Have you ever faced this situation?
People asking -
"Oh, so you speak XYZ language? Hey, say something in XYZ language na…"
- where XYZ refers to any regional/foreign language that is not the majority language in the location where the question is being asked? Earlier I would get peeved, but later I realised it made sense to 'barter'. On the basis of this barter and by some overhearing, the linguist in me 'learned' a modicum of the following languages -
Kannada: through my Ajji who's quite good in it and overheard from relatives in Bangalore On a trip to Bangalore, I was told: "If you don’t understand a person speaking to you in Kannada, just utter 'Nanage Artha Vagalilla' ". Other than this "Nimma Hesaru Yenu?", Neevu Hege Iddira, etc. (I never tried speaking these phrases, is another thing :-P)
Bengali: through a friend who used to play music with me
At a party hosted by the same Bengali friend, I’d only remember a word the over-enthusiastic hosts who went on filling up our plates were saying: "Mishti, Mishti". Another word which I could never forget was "Mongol Bar" of which I took the obvious English meaning ;-)
Telugu: overheard from one of my family-friends
He would shout “Ekkada Ekkada” all the way when he didn't find something. "Neeku telugu vachchaa?"
Malayalam: from one of Baba’s colleagues
It took me two days trying to pronounce "Valiya Upakaaramaayi" and "Engagane Irikkunnu?" ! So I didn't go beyond them.
Tamil: from a Tennis buddy
Earlier it was restricted to “Thiru, Thirumadhi, Selvi”... later I was able to figure out the words for the following terms -
The new milkman: Paal Newman
Socialist footprints: Kaal Marks
The son of the soil with no head: Nella son Mande illa :-D
Punjabi: A smattering of it from the assault on the eyes and ears in the form of Yash Chopra & Karan Johar movies and Bhangra pop on TV…
German: I'm formally learning it and through Natascha of course
Spanish, French, Italian: Tiny bits of all these from acquaintances at the Poona Music Society and friends who are learning these languages ”Monsieur”, “Mademoiselle”, “Merci”, “Bonjour”, “Au Revoir”, “Como estas”, "Felice di Conoscerla", etc.
Ending with a typical Punjabi/Sardar joke -
Girl on beach: Sardarji, sandwich loge kya?
Sardarji: Sand wich kyun? Room wich kyun nahin?
:-D
i feel as if i am the one who tempted u for this blog. because i am the recent one who asked u... kannst du deutsch?
ReplyDeletei hope u were not irritated with the question!!!
No Swati tai, this thought didn't even cross my mind when you asked me the question the other day. There are some other guys who simply love to pester you to tell them more about the commonly used words/phrases.
ReplyDelete(On the positive side, it helped me - to flaunt my 'skills' and come up with a new blog post)
My Bengali bench-partner in school taught me three lines:
ReplyDelete"Amake kheede pe chhe" [I want food]
"Ama kase khavar nai" [I dont have food]
"Er matha kharab" [He's dumb]
:-)
I did learn to decipher a few letters of the Tamil script a few months ago, and I'd learnt the Punjabi script too.Gujarati is fairly easy to read. And speak. ["Ketlo Time?" - How long?] Its fun to learn different languages, but you need patience to pursue it.
Good post altogether.