Monday, November 23, 2009

Textbooks or Jokebooks

The month of November this year seems quite unlike the rest of the months, for me (and I believe for the rest of my Engineer friends too who graduated this year). One simple reason for that – I'm not studying this time of the year around! Four years isn't a short span not to get used to studying during the PL (better part of November and initial few days of December)

Just this thought forced me to go back to those PL days: the cocktail of jounces, insightfulness, confusion, frolic and panic! One very crucial point of debate during these PL days, while studying, was whether or not to use reference books wholly…

They said: Don't use local author books to study.
They meant: We use them to make our notes. So we don't want you to find out. You may suffer.

They said: Use only foreign author reference books.
They meant: We don't understand them. But it's cool to say we use them. You may suffer.

I confess, I'd used local author text books for most subjects (which amounted to sacrilege in our department); but not because everyone else did, but because I didn't find a better book to study from.
Right at this moment as I write, I'm reminded of a comment made by my friend Aditya: "Would you use a technical book from Pakistan because it is foreign?"

But then I'm diverging from the issue. Are the local author text books readable? Should I spend money reading junk? Or wait a minute, it isn't complete junk, it's entertainment!
A word/phrase goofed up, I'm used to, not a big issue. But what I read from a friend's text book yesterday made me go for this subject; I'm reproducing directly this interesting piece of information I happened to read from the Multimedia Systems text book (Third Year) published by Tech-Max, Page no. 3-17, the chapter on 'Audio'. Read on:

Music consist of following things :

    * Songs
    * Rhymes
    * Tunes
    * Poems
    * Remix songs
    * Ragas.

Music is divided into two groups as follows:


Classical Music: In classical music there are various artists based on their Gharana. Ragas and other songs are played in the classical music. This is a typical classical music. This is based on seven Suras : sa_re_ga_ma_pa_dha_ni and combination of these. India has rich cultural heritage in classical music. Lata didi has sung the highest number of songs in various languages.

Western Music: Western music is like Pop, Rap, and much more. You can get more familiarity with western music if you take look in MTV or V Channel.

Ok, I’ve checked it again. It’s exactly as it is in the book – word by word, no spelling mistakes on my part. I couldn’t put sic after every line, but then reading this does make me sick (excuse the pun if it was one). I’m only enlightened about genre of music and Lata didi.

If this is the reason why they did tell us to use reference books, then I’m all for it, or rather should have been :-(
Dash it. Would I’ve passed?

PS: Jokebook for Sale. Multimedia Systems for Third Year IT.

6 comments:

  1. This was in a book about Multimedia systems????????? WTF????????????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTF.. yeah ... that's all i got to say! W T F!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha .. This is just 1 example .. All local authors be it Tech-Max, Nirali or Technical are scattered with things like this. I found that half the time I would be correcting what has been printed which is why I preferred reference books .. Some of them and especially all books by Tannenbaum were really awesome .. But as you know when time is short it's local author zindabad :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Local authors do add to the "Joy of Learning" in their own way,don't they?

    As They wisely say,you have to be regular and sincere in your studies. And I don't know if there are two scarier words in an engineering student's daily vocab [Back,ATKT,YD do not make the daily vocab list for me :-P]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed with Vineet. Running short of time use local author's book. What you mentioned is just an example. I remember our last year's STQA books. All the three books which I refereed had different answers for same question/Topic. At that time I was amazed, how could examiner would be checking our papers when no answer is matching. :O

    ReplyDelete
  6. this was in a textbook?? of what use is it anyway when preparing for an engineering exam?























    affiliate software, limewire

    ReplyDelete