By around 10-games-all in the decider last night, I'd somehow vowed to myself that whatever post I do after the match, it'll be majorly on Andy Roddick. I've written (will be writing) on MY MAN on numerous occasions and me not doing a full post on him will not undermine his credentials -
15.20.1.238
Other than an uncanny resemblance to an IP-address, these numbers mean a lot to all peRFect fans! So other than the title, I felt no need to write about Roger, again... Okay, so before Roger completely takes over me or this post rather, it was Andy Roddick's match to be won; just that the records will not say that and his name will not be engraved on the Winners' list at Wimbledon :-( On the contrary, if I'd said this before the match, even the not-so-ardent fans of Roger would've hanged me to death! For probably the first time, I don't know how Roger won eventually - luck playing a substantial part in it. Kudos to A-Rod for choosing the latter option from the two Vijay Amritraj had spoke about before the match: "A player playing on a Centre-Court at Wimbledon either gets intimated or inspired!"
More focussed than at the two finals these two played here 4-5 years ago, Roddick did show a strong resolve to turn the result in his favour this time around...and he almost was successful in it. A stunning display of serving from both players (Roger served 50 aces in the entire match, much much more than what A-Rod served - know who would believe this against him :-O) and it was just ironic that the only time Roddick was broken, it proved out to be decisive! 6-2 in the 2nd set breaker, 15-40 on Roger's serve in the latter stages of the decider - these are going to haunt him forever, believe me. Then, no wonder and understandably he'd that shattered look during the presentation ceremony. I wouldn't have been surprised even if he'd let flow a drop or two through those telling eyes evident in the picture below...

After reading all this, I bet I've prompted most of you to think why a post on Andy when one on Roger was the obvious, is because I like Roddick - be it just for his court-presence or his humbleness. I haven't seen a better player than him acknowledging his opponents' wins in a more open and honest way...and one thing he uttered during Roger's speech post-match made me feel for him, dearly -
(not verbatim)
Roger: I felt bad when I lost last year (2008) to Rafa, it hurt a lot then...so it's good to win again...
Andy: But you'd already won 5 times before that, Roger!

I'm hoping for a Goran Ivanisevic-like story for Andy...
PS: Times change for the good - this is what I'd to say exactly a year ago, click here.
More focussed than at the two finals these two played here 4-5 years ago, Roddick did show a strong resolve to turn the result in his favour this time around...and he almost was successful in it. A stunning display of serving from both players (Roger served 50 aces in the entire match, much much more than what A-Rod served - know who would believe this against him :-O) and it was just ironic that the only time Roddick was broken, it proved out to be decisive! 6-2 in the 2nd set breaker, 15-40 on Roger's serve in the latter stages of the decider - these are going to haunt him forever, believe me. Then, no wonder and understandably he'd that shattered look during the presentation ceremony. I wouldn't have been surprised even if he'd let flow a drop or two through those telling eyes evident in the picture below...

After reading all this, I bet I've prompted most of you to think why a post on Andy when one on Roger was the obvious, is because I like Roddick - be it just for his court-presence or his humbleness. I haven't seen a better player than him acknowledging his opponents' wins in a more open and honest way...and one thing he uttered during Roger's speech post-match made me feel for him, dearly -
(not verbatim)
Roger: I felt bad when I lost last year (2008) to Rafa, it hurt a lot then...so it's good to win again...
Andy: But you'd already won 5 times before that, Roger!

I'm hoping for a Goran Ivanisevic-like story for Andy...
PS: Times change for the good - this is what I'd to say exactly a year ago, click here.
Hey Rohan,
ReplyDeleteI had been waiting for this post since monday morning. Didnt imagine that it would come in this manner. However, I completely agree with you. Andy won the game for me...
After the match when i updated my status on facebook saying "Andy is winner for me..." i thought everybody is going to curse me for that especially you. But after reading your post i think Tennis won and in spite being die hard fan of Roger at that moment i think we both thought Andy should have won... Cheers to both players. Hope we will see such games again again...
ReplyDelete