Friday, January 30, 2009

AO FeVer!

First of all congratulations and thank you, both, Fernando and Rafa for providing some breath-taking Tennis!!! (it's been sometime since I said it without Roger being a part of it :-P)
5 hrs 14 mins of ultra-high intensity Tennis and FeVer almost did it! It just re-kindled memories of the Wimbledon '08 Final...I fail to understand from where these guys manage to muster so much energy. 5 hours and neither showed any signs of letting it go, where on the other hand, for us, even an hour of playing some lame Tennis, leads to "bed-rest" for a day!!! :-D I'm kinda dumbstruck at this moment...so I don't think I'll be able to conjure up more words. I'll just share a small fact about the Australian Open, that I guess, makes it interesting - The AO has always been a place for out-of-nowhere players (at least for the last 4 years or so...) who have set the stage, err, Tennis-court alight! Marcos Baghdatis (2006) - Finalist Fernando Gonzalez (2007) - Finalist Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (2008) - Finalist Fernando Verdasco (2009) - Semifinalist (How I wish I could say, Finalist!) Sadly, none has been able to extend the "fairy-tale" beyond the final :-( And without guesses, Roger's the man who has stopped their juggernaut on two occasions! I just hope the final doesn't prove to be an anticlimax! PS: And for those who still haven't got FeVer; read: Fernando Verdasco! I've actually lost count of the no. of exclamation marks keyed in here :-P

3 comments:

  1. Totally!!!

    ....maaannn!!!....i was really wishing Fernando wud take the match ....especially after the way he recovered from the leg injury or whatever and after being two sets down.....maaannn....!!!
    ........he showed some real strength of spirit and willpower!...i really wish he trumps the jinx of AO and goes on to become one of the Tennis greats...

    ReplyDelete
  2. intrigued by the photo :P
    jokes apart,..5 hours? :O its unbelievable,.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could only 'read' about this match as was in Office that day but I'm sure it must've been great .. Plus you don't get to see 2 left handed players against each other every day ..

    Regarding your 'findings' on Australian Open finalists I remember that before Nadal we used to have some very wierd French Open winners !! ... Sergei Brugera won it 2 times in a row but was nowhere else .. There're others also like Gustavo Kuerten, Gauston Gaudio who could play brilliantly on clay only ..

    ReplyDelete