First of all, here is another silent prayer for the unfortunate souls who died in the terrorist attack (26/11) in Mumbai and I am not referring to the bastards who attacked Mumbai. The terrorists were neither unfortunate nor do their souls deserve a prayer. May they rot in hell.
Now, I shall try and be as brief as possible about the movie, which would be being true to its running time as well - around 95 mins. Excellent acting all round by Anupam Kher, Naseeruddin Shah, Jimmy Shergill and others (there might be a few glitches) but the excellence of the movie overshadows everything. It is not a paragon of cinematic finesse, but a triumph of storytelling excellence with just the necessary wicked kick in the tale. No songs, no drama. Just plain good cinema. Actually you don't need anything else when you have two of the best actors in Anupam Kher and Naseeruddin Shah! Good work by Neeraj Pandey (script, direction) and his team which had the courage to bring this light. "A Wednesday" tells the story of a man who holds the city of Mumbai to ransom for a day, asking for four terrorists to be handed over to him. The movie gives just the right raw feel of a nation whose citizens are currently awash with rage/outrage (make your pick), including yours truly.
The rest of the movie tells the incredibly prescient story of what follows. I believe every Indian must see the movie. Half of the reason the 1st paragraph is worded like it is, is due to the movie. The other reason is that I had decided to pay some homage to Mumbai in my first post in the aftermath of the attack. Please see the movie. If the producers/director are half as savvy as they were when they made it, they should re-release the movie. They will make a lot of money, I think.
I agree completely...although i feel that the production value should have been better...and i guess that an encore is warranted keeping in mind the present times...stupid parliamentarians...discussing the defn of terror in the session instead of action...
ReplyDeleteWe really do need "A wednesday". :)
ReplyDeleteI have the DVD, intend to watch it very soon. Now this is just me being nitpicky but for all of us front-row blog-readers hungry for anything gratuitous throw in the actual (albeit occasional) cuss word rather than a watered down abbreviation like 'b*s'.
ReplyDeleteArrr! Hear Hear!
ReplyDeletethe movie absolutely ROX to the core...
ReplyDelete...absolutely right!!!
ReplyDelete....i think what the movie shows is what is really the need of the hour. Especially after we saw the way the goddamned politicians handled the whole fiasco. How can they even dare to extract political mileage out of something as dastardly as a terror strike? Curse the bastards!!! Sometimes i just wish i could get a gun and shoot the bloody asses off them!
Yes I completely agree on all your views including your anger and wrath for the terrorists.
ReplyDeleteThe movie is simply fantastic and is the best which I have seen in the past 6 months or so. I share the common man's frustration in the sense that we take too long a time to convict the captured terrorists. If possible read about Karl Adolf Eichmann's trial and how the Israelis finished it off in less than a year. We should have something like that in place.
Regarding your idea that the movie should be re-released I think its great. You're showing a good "marketing" mind :) ..