After ages (it seems like that, can't help it) I listened to some FM in the unlikeliest of places - a BEST bus in Mumbai! (Some of those buses even have small screens playing music videos... beat that!) And do the FMs play music? All they do is talk talk talk and ... TALK! However, it felt good...something new after a long time.
Strange as it may seem now, but I was an avid FM listener (read: Radio Mirchi) way back when I'd started Junior College, some 5-6 years ago. I'd this new portable Radio player gifted by someone which had found a permanent abode in the form of my trouser pocket! (The only difference now is that it's been replaced by an iPod.) So much was I into Radio Mirchi those days, for sheer novelty, that I even managed to use my music-listening and identifying-them-from-their-intro-music skills, and my word-spelling prowess to good effect - twice winning the then latest movie tickets at Inox through "Kan-test" and then again a Malaka Spice dining voucher plus a "Goody-bag" through the Spelling test, conducted by a certain RJ Karma and RJ Señorita respectively!
So coming back in the present - there was this show "Kamla ka Hamla"! Whoever has given the voice... it's mind-blowing! And then there was "Sud – Hansi ke Phooaare with Sudarshan!" Call me Sud, C'mon Baby Chill…" :-D (later learned that Sud is also on Radio Mirchi, Pune - heard him again and loved it... even the lamest of PJs was good enough for a hearty laugh, thanks to the way he speaks!)
Though it again popped up the question in my mind: Whatever has happened to the lyrics department of Bollywood? Who are the lyricists now? Where's Gulzar and his likes? Heard these 'chartbusters' one after the other - Himesh Reshamiya nasaling "Tandoori Nights, If loving you is wrong, I don't wanna be right"! and Twist... n we Twist... (the guy just goes on and on with the same) on the Nagin been from Love Aaj Kal. Pathetic :-(
Oohh...didn't know you got 'Sud' in Pune too...I thought he was a Delhi phenomenon...he's hilarious! :)
ReplyDeleteman, u came to noe Sud right now really shoes how much u've been outta radio. he is an old guy on the radio now. have u heard ghanta singh then? u shud listen to him as well. his jokes are disgusting but they surely get a smile on ur face in the end...
ReplyDeleteeven i had forgotten FM in between. but recently, since i drive a car many times to office, i am left with no option but FM.
@Adhish:
ReplyDeleteYou're right, I rarely listen to the FM stations but that's because all of them only evr play recent film music most of the time. They all sound the same.