Monday, September 21, 2009

Movie Review: Kaminey

I know I'm pretty late doing a review for this movie with respect to its release and that most of you might have already seen it. The reason being that I myself got a chance to see it only yesterday.
Let me ask you something - when was the last time you came out of the theatre and raved about the performances of the cast after watching a Bollywood flick? Taare Zameen Par? Really? That long? Well, wait no more. With Kaminey, all of us can scream our guts out DHAN TE NAN!
The story revolves around two Kaminey, two identical twins played by Shahid Kapoor - the first is Guddu and the second Charlie. Guddu stammers while Charlie says "Mein pha ko pha bolta hoon"... It's about how they hate each other and the clichéd how-their-paths-cross. It's a crime drama with a killer combo of dark humour and violence.
The best part of this movie is that it can truly boast that each and every character does full justice to his/her role. To start-off with I was bowled over by Amole Gupte's performance as a crackpot politician Sunil Shekhar Bhope whose lines are suffixed with Jai Maharashtra (Amole Gupte is the same guy who wrote the wonderful screenplay for Taare Zameen Par and was initially going to direct it). The way he snaps "Aye Gap Re" reminded me of one of my friends who uses the same phrase whenever we devil him. My second favourite character in the movie was Chandan Roy Sanyal: Mikhail, Charlie's buddy. Nothing much to say here since he's bound to give a crisp performance considering he's a seasoned theatre actor. There have been talks of Charlie and Mikhail having gay shades in their characters (I'm leaving that to the sole discretion of the audience). Priyanka Chopra as Sweety was adorable with her Marathi lines; Tashi as the dope guy was typical. One very singular thing that I noticed was there were no background scores for some large portions of scenes. Nice. I liked it.
To be fair to the director of Vishal Bhardwaj's calibre, I'd expected this movie to be a completely different one; for the treatment if not for the storyline; peppered with Vishal Bhardwaj's own unique touch to it. Sticking with Vishal Bhardwaj, you happen to find his name in almost every crucial aspect of film making - screenplay, dialogues, music & background score, decent vocals in addition to direction! Gulzar's lyrics as always suit the movie. Pehli Baar Mohabbat sung by Mohit Chauhan tends to linger in your mind for quite a while.
Amidst all crap like Life Partner, Love Aaj Kal, Tere Sang (or whatever that was *YAWN*), Kaminey may not have the newest of plots, but it surely comes as a breathe of fresh air. So go watch it if you haven't and have fun.

6 comments:

  1. sorry rohan but i feel totally the opposite! jus hated ths movie big time! its jus plain boring..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked some parts of the movie. But most of the times the story just didn't move along. Adding to that are the cliche end to the movie, too much stalling of the scenes while Guddu tries to stutter out a line and too much darkness of the whole atmosphere. Nevertheless I do agree with you about the excellent performances of all the actors. Especially Amole Gupte, his 'Ay Gap Re!' was one of the best delivered lines of all time.

    I loved the song 'Dhan Te Nan'. I hear Mr. Vishal Bhardwaj had the song shot without it being choreographed. So all the moves are impromptu and amazing. The song does put us in an enthusiastic groove.

    I believe there is a reason behind the not-so-good response to the movie, especially in Pune. The movie was released in the week when Pune was closed on account of the Swine Flu Outbreak. Probably the people lost a little interest from the start. There are also talks of the movie not being up to the publicity it garnered and the hype it generated. My personal opinion is that it does match the hoopla and investing time to watch the movie is not a waste at all.

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, the lead guy who plays a double role gets no mention at all for acting? Was he that bad?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rohan and Shreyas you both must be confused about me being here.
    I know it.
    I think the performance of shahid was great but still way to go for him to become matured actor.
    Loved to listen marathi lines by Priyanka and 'Bhope Bhau...' by tashi.
    Movie was not that good but still was not bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Mithila:
    You needn't be sorry to me.

    @ Shreyas:
    Good, there's at least one more who has liked the film.

    @ Samir:
    A big gaffe on my part.

    I add:
    Shahid Kapoor (the lead actor) did play a very good role in the film; one of his best I feel. He's very unlike his nature in some of his other films.

    @ Sushant:

    I'm not confused, but quite surprised seeing you comment on my Blog for the first time.
    Should I assume that you read all my posts, or whether the title of only this blog post grabbed your eyeballs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Roger
    Hehe nothing like that....
    I read quite a few times but never had a thought of writing something.
    But this time something drove me..
    so.........

    ReplyDelete