Monday, February 27, 2012

The story of the magical sponge

There once was a magical sponge. It did not know of its powers for a long time. But it knew it was different. It looked at the other sponges around it and noticed that though physically they were all the same, from inside it was different. It could absorb a lot of things, and it would absorb them well. Sometimes this sponge felt superior to the others because of this but other times, it just felt like an outsider.

It used to wonder why and how did it land up being so different. Did the others not see what it did, and if they did, why wouldn't they take it in? Isn't that what sponges are supposed to do? Whenever there used to be a big spillage, this sponge was sought after the most.

As time passed by, the sponges grew in capacity. They were more experienced now. New and different sponges came into play. Yet, our magical sponge still had its reign. Even when others showed signs of wear, it didn't buckle. Not once were the others disappointed in it.

Slowly, the news spread about the magical sponge's abilities. Everyone wanted to use it now. It didn't mind. "After all, isn't that why I am made this way", it thought to itself. But over a period of time, it also started feeling the wear. Little did others realise it though. The magical power that lead it to fame was actually taking it down. From the outside, it still looked as good as new but inside, it was breaking up.

It had the gift of retention, but that also meant that as and when it used to absorb new things, the old ones would also remain. It were those things that were eating it up inside. It could feel the burden now, it could feel its heavy weight.

It wondered for how much longer did it have to be this way. Would it never end? Would others always assume it was fine, never realising that it was crumbling away? When it was its turn to give, why would the others look away?

5 comments:

  1. Karma.
    I haven't checked blogs in months, and I decide to do so today. I was sitting wearily, in a sad/disheartened/disappointed mood. And as I started reading this, slowly my weariness crept away and I smiled. Smiled at how perfectly you've described something that we've all struggled with at some point in life.

    Thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and I wrote this after months literally, 4 to be precise. That's the longest I've been on a hiatus since I started blogging! So glad that I could put a smile on your face *satisfaction* :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome! Great to see your post after such a long time (of checking! :P). Superb comeback :D

    ReplyDelete