Hum The Woh Thi
Aur Sama Rangeen, Samajh Gaye Naa
Jaate The Japan Pohonch Gaye Cheen, Samajh Gaye Naa
Aur Sama Rangeen, Samajh Gaye Naa
Jaate The Japan Pohonch Gaye Cheen, Samajh Gaye Naa
I'd never hoped so hard for an interesting seat partner for my train journey.
I'd never been so lucky either.
She was here, standing right beside my seat, with two huge bags asking for AH, 11. She'd reached the train just two minutes before it departed, no wonder she looked so confused and hassled. Donning casuals: black jeans with a purple T-shirt with STARS written on it, she looked pretty cute… or rather pretty and cute :-)
Over my home-made Aloo parathas, fruits and greens and her sandwiches we started talking; getting to know each other better. She’d done her CA, and was working with Morgan Stanley in Mumbai. Well, I fancy myself more in inter-personal skills and communication, and less of finance, but we became friends within sometime of the journey, nevertheless. Anyway, so this dudette was also visiting some relatives in Bangalore. She too was doing the same after a long gap of 10 years!
We were up chatting late at night, till Belgaum was it? or was it Hubli? I can’t really recollect. We'd some really interesting conversations. Beyond the IIT & IIM tags, thankfully. About movies, cartoons, favourite music, Bangalore, Mumbai and Pune, Travels, and of course food & drinks. She's a big big foodie, am sure. We did favour different food – she preferring the North Indian food and I, the South Indian food. Though not so much of a Chitale-Bakarwadi fan as me, she told me she loved their Amrakhand and has it every time she comes to Pune.
Late at night, we also ended up talking about senti stuff: boyfriends/girlfriends, heartbreaking stuff etc. ;-D (We couldn’t keep ourselves away from it, could we?) Then was the time to display my music skills – played some evergreen melodies on my mouth-organ :-) Just looking at the way she was humming the tunes along with my playing endeared me to her…
Woke up with a start when we were at Tumkur. Pleasant but slightly chilly morning. I showed her some pics of my family & friends. And by the time, we were near Bangalore, over a cup of tea, she’d drawn me a lovely sketch of we both, on the a napkin. Cool. :-) Though didn’t know then why she insisted that I keep it in my trouser pocket for now…
Time flies when you most want it not to. Before I realised, we’d almost reached Bangalore. I wanted to ask for her mobile number, but felt awkward. Very skeptic on whether I should really ask her for that. So, I thought, what the hell! I’d a good time; I'll just wish her good luck and a nice time for her week’s stay at her relatives in Bangalore. And go back and write this story: of an eventful journey.
The goodbyes followed. But I distinctly remember the sparkle in her eyes, when she said, "I think we'll meet again someday…" :-)
Cursing myself over my fear to ask for her phone number, I got into my cousin’s car who was there to pick me up. All through the drive home, I was just thinking over - remembering the events of the last 20 hours. Lost in those thoughts my hand found something in my trouser pocket. Lo! It was the napkin on which she’d drawn our sketch. Thrilled to find something of hers to keep with me as a memory, I opened the folded napkin. On it, in a very beautiful handwriting, was written:
Call me later dude
{Her cell phone no.}
Anamika :)
{Her cell phone no.}
Anamika :)
_____________________________
Nice one dude :) Unfortunately this stuff only happens in movies and books :) The start of your short story is somewhat like 'One Night in the Call Center'
ReplyDeleteIn case you want to write something more than a short story check this out:-
http://www.nanowrimo.org
Kamalllll post ahe ......Mitra... ur writing style is very NICE...
ReplyDeleteThe perfect story for thespian. Adorn it with some more stuff I will definitely recommend it for coming 'Firodiya'. What a name chosen... "Anamika" :) Very nice... Somebody will reverie.. lol...
ReplyDelete@ Vineet:
ReplyDeleteYes, unfortunately :-(
I'd like to write something more than a short-story, but not sure on how I should go about it :-P Thanks for that nevertheless.
@Siddharth:
Thanks. How did you come across my blog?
@ Gosav:
You can perhaps help me in the 'adornment' :-P
I personally like the name 'Anamika' a lot, hence wanted to use it here.
Couldn't stop myself from asking you - Were you in a reverie? ;-)
Dude, simply marvellous ! I could visualise ur Anamika....lol.....well written ! cheers !
ReplyDelete@Rogerhan
ReplyDeleteMalta(Ashutosh JOGLEKAR) told me about...ur BLOG so...i read :)
Here is mine,
sidpat.blogspot.com
Hahaha. Nice! "Call me later 'dude'" was a cool touch :P
ReplyDeleteWow! But I am more keen to know if you did call her and what happened thereafter :D
ReplyDeletePls do visit my experience of knowing a warm unknown stranger at http://crispingcanary.blogspot.in/#!http://crispingcanary.blogspot.com/2012/03/in-search-of-beautiful-experiences-in.html and share your thoughts :)