Thursday, March 29, 2012

15 Minutes of Fame...15 Years Ago!

Pune Junior Tennis Circuit
Year: 1994
Venue: Law College Tennis Courts
Age-group: under-8
On Court: Rohan Pandit vs Aashwin Lokhande

Classroom buddies pitted against each-other. The first tournament of my competitive career! Early morning start. I was accompanied by my coach and a fellow Tennis buddy. Only! On the other hand, Aashwin had this entire Law College Tennis fraternity behind him. Why? "Local" boy, I thought. I, obviously, was the "under-dog" against the 4th seed! Once on the court, nobody had expected the match to last long. The game kicked-off (I remember, literally kicking the ground after every point lost). On the back foot already, I almost knew where this was heading. The temper on ONE side of the net was rising, slowly.

Changeover. (pun-intended!)

I don't know what/who urged me on, but the score-line started looking better for me...a damp-squib changed into a match which further led to a battle! The tempers were rising - with a difference now - on BOTH sides of the net! It had everything - right from foot-faults to dehydration to swearing! The battle had eaten almost the entire morning. An "outside-court" fixture had transformed into a "Centre-Court" attraction! The entire Law College Tennis fraternity were quite vociferously cheering and rooting - with a difference now - for BOTH the players - EQUALLY! After much more drama, the tussle ceased. Aashwin the winner! Post-match there were handshakes, hugs, pat-on-the-backs, applause, hurrahs, fatigue for both the players...and yes - My 15 Minutes of Fame!


This post is written as part of the IndiBlogger contest with Mahindra XUV500 - (http://www.mahindraxuv500.com/)

13 comments:

  1. Rohan, That is one classically lifelike rendition of the occurrence on the said date, and hitherto leads one to reminisce ones own 'battle of a lifetime' and '15 mins of fame'. Cheers !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was excellent!! (I mean the way you narrated it)
    Wondering why that didn't come earlier? Were you searching for that paper cutting (to add as evidence)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ek number...first match is really very scary kay... i remember mine... i purposefully arranged my first match on a secluded court at PYC...so that not many people come and watch... later got used to it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cool man .. amazing fight back :) .. question: Where did your Tennis Career go from there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 15 Minutes of Fame... 15 Years Ago! And 15 years from then, instead of looking at the photograph "proving" the legitimacy of the incident, I was reading, rather watching the match as if it was happening right on my Web Browser! I had heard about living the past. Today I got to actually live the past, that too, not mine!

    Keep clogging our heads with brilliant narrations, keep blogging your way in the Timeless Frame of Fame!

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. m tired of saying this now...

    stop blogging..start WRITING!! :P

    ..looking forward to 'witness' many more 'minutes of fame' of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great going man..!!

    seriously.. take up writing as a career.. u might end up wid '15 years of fame...'

    regards,
    Dhaval

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome man!!!i could visualize that moment.
    Clapping,cheering and all.
    U dieing for each & every point shattering the under dog tag.But hard luck...

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome re... everybody wants something this kind of thing to happen at least for once in a lifetime..

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome re... everybody wants something this kind of thing to happen at least for once in a lifetime..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good post..such memories perk us up when we are feeling low.

    ReplyDelete