So, I finally watched the movie Queen on one of these past weekends, because -
a) the world and their auntyjis were raving about it
b) more importantly my brother-from-another-mother was asking if I had
seen the flick and wanted to know how I felt about it *feeling so critic-ishly
kicked*
For
otherwise, it would have been difficult to make me watch a Kangana Ranaut movie
just by the merit of her being in it. I tried to stay away from it all this time as I believe it is always better to watch a movie
before they cram you with their opinions on it. The perspective is always
truer.
Queen is beautiful!
Also, I
am beginning to realise that I can relate to anything onscreen that is based on
a sense of abandon, with streaks of freedom from the stereotyped moulds. It
sometimes sends me into self-introspection mode going in circles in my mind
till real life takes over. Aren’t we all trying to break free from whatever it
is that defines us? Those tucked deep in riches want to live life the common
man-way, the common man strives to get out of his mediocrity, the house-bound
wife seeks adventure, the nomad travels relentlessly to find a base to root
into and so on... hence we are unified by a common thread for that desire to
experience the uncommon of our lives. Perhaps this craving is right. Why else
should we get up from our beds each morning or what else would we dream of when
we go to bed at night?
Queen
celebrates the idea of being on your own. Such a defining thought! Also how
beautifully does the movie sketch the female psyche - those thousand
different thoughts zig zagging in that head of Rani’s during mehendi while the entire space around was a
menagerie of sorts. Kangana's face acting as a wonderful canvas of
emotions throughout the movie - shock, frustration, fear, awe, resignation,
anger, realisation, and of course, disillusionment, enlightenment and sheer
joy. There was a bang on depiction of the much talked about middle class, protective,
loving, yet patriarchal family (asking the fiancé whether she could work, the younger brother tagging along everywhere she went, etc.), a dream supporting
cast - beautiful and bold women, sensitive and easy-on-the-eyes men and oodles
and oodles of inner strength and courage, lovely soundtrack and not to mention humour.
I believe
not everyone would be as lucky as
Rani to be able to squeeze out a life from a latent existence in an unknown
land. In a sense, the movie was real but dipped in a beautiful fairy tale
flavour. The freshness emitting out of the fact that she became her own Prince
Charming rescuing her from the gnawing miseries!
Also, it is possible to have friends all over the world, who may or may not subscribe to
the same age group, social strata or thinking genre as our lives are in,
sometimes even surpassing real life friends we've lived with. It is
possible to share lives with strangers. Not all strangers come with dangerous
motives. Some come with empathy that familiar faces find it strange to offer,
without petty judging.
But the
most important thing that was reiterated was that nothing good will happen to
your stuck up life till DAARU happens to you! Oh yes! ;)
By the
way, what IS heeng in
English?!
Asafoetida.
ReplyDeleteWhat would I have done without you, Makdee! ;)
Delete