Wednesday, May 28, 2014

"Murder!!", he cried

Victim: The English language

Suspect(s): All of us

I have little or no respect whatsoever for people who murder and mutilate the English language. Call me a prude, call me a snob, whatever, but I stand by what I say. I try hard not to even read a message if it is written entirely in SMS language.

The worst part is, there are several kinds of these English-language murderers - 

1) The ones who think it’s ok to omit the vowels (other than the articles 'a' and 'an', or if it is the first letter of a word). After all there are just five of them, right?

Wht a wndrfl dy.
Fck ff.

2) The ones who add the extra letters at the end or in between, hoping to sound enthusiastic or prove a point.

How are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu???? Loooooooooooooooooooooonggggggggggggggggggg timmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeee!!!!
Yes, but not as long as it will take me to get over that greeting.

3) The ones who substitute 's' with 'z'.

Hi friendzzzzzzzzzz. How izzzz life?!
Great. How is your zexy wife?

4) The ones who purposely mutilate the spelling even when it doesn’t make much of a difference to the original word length, except for one or two letters.

It ws a reeli osum nite. I luv u.
I h8 u 2.

5) The ones who change spellings in the misconception that they sound cool.

Mah frendz say I’m kewl and a dahling.
Eww.

6) The ones who combine the 'cks' to 'x'.

My life roxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!
Tell me, will you like it if someone asks you how your 'secks' life is?

7) The ones who think that language and maths can be seamlessly blended.

My luv 4 u is gr8. I cnt wait 2 meet u. Will cal u l8r.
Thhu!!

8) The ones who think it's ok to not use commas and full stops.

Hi how are you I am fine what are you doing what is wrong with you get lost you loser bye goodnight.
It's like loose motion. Believe me.

Honestly, how many of you cursed me? I know a lot of you. I have no such illusions of I being a "language purist". I’m just saddened by the way the language has deteriorated. The Facebook, Twitter and SMS WhatsApp generation has murdered the language. And sadly, I’m also a part of that generation... and the most brutal murderers are the ones who say "What's your problem? We'll write whichever way we want." I just feel sorry for their children, who'll be taught A 4 Apl @ skul.

If there’s anyone out there who shares my angst, do pitch in.

1 comment:

  1. I had tears in my eyes (from all the laughing) reading the samples and your mock responses :-)

    One particularly egregious type of violator for me is the kind that tarnishes universal greetings - 'Gud morning', 'Happy Budday'. Grrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete