What
a lousy topic to write about. What can one possibly write about curd rice? Recipe, eh? Nope. Something funny? Umm, no. So what's it about curd rice - the quintessential
life saver.
It
would seem silly, unpretentious and bland. The last thing anybody would think
of is a poem on curd rice or to find it listed in
must-try-things-before-you-die. But I must say that the curd rice has a lot to teach in
life.
For
one, its reputation in itself. Curd mixed with rice is an acquired taste - why
would you want to eat a semi-sour curd mixed with rice? But ask folks who vouch
their fierce loyalty to the dish? The seemingly diminutive dish is a superstar
in many homes. I've always cherished having curd rice - I have least
of the expectations from it but it does wonders. Talk about getting that hint
of joy when least expected. How much we relish such moments in life? Live
without expectations; even a small gesture or a butterfly fluttering by is
going to give you joy.
Next,
the beauty lies in its simplicity and its adaptability. It's so easy to prepare, versatile and goes with anything (there's a bachelor-staying-away-from-home-who-doesn't-get-well-along-with-cooking talking) - I prefer how my parents prepare it: with a seasoning of tiny bits of chilly, mustard and cilantro; I know people who throw in tomato ketchup, aamras and what not! Again, I can't help but think about life. Life is as
simple as it gets, but we tend to complicate it. Life is just love - everything
revolves around love. Nothing can go wrong with a curd
rice, you can just enhance it. The extra flavours only add more zing to it. At
the same time, adding those extra flavours does not diminish the taste and
properties of curd rice, it only enhances it. Likewise, love is only going to
enhance your life.
Next,
no meal ends without a serving of curd rice in the end. The meal ends when you
say "I am done" after having devoted your last serving of curd
rice. That is helps ease the effects of any spicy dishes had before or that it aids digestion is already known. Every good thing ends on a happy note, to
give way to better things.
There
are times when everything fails, it seems bleak and dark. Times when you doubt
your purpose then, think of good wishes, good times with your favourite people and of course
your curd rice!
I don't eat curd rice until I have an upset stomach. My favorite combination is curd, rice, salt, and sugar; life's perfect combination - love, with some sweet and salty moments.
ReplyDeleteThe analogy was more unusual than the topic, I must say. Quite fitting, such unconventional analogies are important. We need the different perspectives. Kudos!