While on the dining table with Aai-Baba on an overcast Sunday, having a hot cuppa and milk with breakfast, I rummaged in the kitchen and came out with the biscuit container. Later as we ripped apart the packets, we began analyzing the biscuits we've grown up enjoying…
I recalled instantly the one biscuit that was luxury to most of us: Bourbon. Those nice brown biscuits studded with sugar crystals had chocolate cream fillings. If you just jammed the thing into your mouth, there was not much to talk about. But the real fun was in opening the set of slim rectangles carefully, chewing the top biscuit before licking up the cream on the other bit, and then munching on that bit to complete the ritual. Yum! This was my alternative demand (request) when Aai-Baba refused to buy chocolates for me!
This was the same case with the Milk Bikis and similar biscuits. You had a variety there with orange, milk and mango flavours. If I remember right, coconut biscuits were forgiven only because of the lovely cream fillings.
Then, my parents had to mention the digestive biscuits, with the nutrition factor being the USP for both of them. They have always loved the tough taste of these biscuits, which made me think of fibre and the works. Made to order for a starving tummy! Aaah, those Good Day biscuits are irresistible too, aren’t they? I remember the time when Neha (my cousin) and I would finish-off a packet within minutes. I also love the Nice biscuits, with edibles the shape of rectangles. They are delicious, so thumbs up there!
Wafer biscuits were rare, but appreciated nevertheless. I always demanded Creamwich wafer biscuits with cream stuffing here and there. Of course, we also had and still have the classic Marie biscuits. Again, this us a favourite with Aai-Baba - light and very munch-able. If you had to share biscuits on a picnic, these biscuits were the best choice.
Did I forget the salted biscuits like Monaco? When you want some feeling in those taste buds, you could opt for this namkeen which is easily wolfed down. You could garnish it with toppings like Sauce as well, making it into a yum snack! Krack-Jack would more or less fit in the same category.
While having milk or tea or coffee, Parle-G / Tiger biscuits make for good time pass. I loved dipping the biscuit into warm milk, and savouring the gooey biscuit. Even otherwise, I could chomp on these anytime!
The current favourite is by far Hide 'n Seek with choco chips embedded in the small grooves that simply melt in your mouth.
What else, I've made a list of biscuits for Aai to buy from the department store the next time she’s out shopping!
Have you tried biscuits by Murthy's. It's staple food at my place. The shop's near KEM hospital. Amazing variety. Try out the Chocholate/coffee ones...and the cakes
ReplyDelete