There are some books you read and forget. There are some books that you read and remember. There are some books that you read and keep coming back to. And then there are some books that you read and feel like you want to keep it safely because you know you want to come back to it sometime. You don’t know when, but you have the instinct that you might just suddenly want to read it again! 'Tuesdays with Morrie' belongs to this last category of books.
The book has a very simple message – "To learn to live". I know it sounds like it’s a run-off-the-mill self-help book, but it’s not!
'Tuesdays with Morrie' is about the last few interactions between Mitch Albom, the author (who is a Sports Journalist) with his dying Professor Morrie Schwartz. Morrie is down with ALS (a deadly disease which is slowly decaying his body) and in his last few days Mitch revisits his old Professor every Tuesday just like they used to spend their Tuesdays 15 years ago while Mitch was a student at Brandies University.
'Tuesdays with Morrie' might pull you down at times but it flows like a river – meandering and I must admit that Mitch expresses himself wonderfully. You can almost feel his emotions and identify with similar situations in your own life when you felt the way he did. It’s actually a perfect recipe to make you think, and I must admit it’s one of the finest pieces I have seen which gives one the impression that it’s been made to "sell" and at the same time appears like it has been written from the bottom of the author’s heart.
And moreover - a very small book; so won't take much of your time - "bezy pepal" :-P
PS: Tuesdays with Morrie has also been made into a Movie, I read. Anybody to confirm that for me, please?
Strange as it is.....u get the complete picture only when u've got very little time 2 savour it...as is implied in this book...nd i agree with it cent percent...good read.
ReplyDeleteyay! I've actually read this book, for a change :P
ReplyDeleteamazing book, i can't find a better way to express myself.. you've done a fabulous job at it :)
..and yes, the book has been made into a movie back in '99,starring Hank Azaria, but it was only for television release.
Baba read this book last year and absolutely fell in love with it. I haven't as yet, although I did enjoy his 'The five people you meet in heaven'.....in fact I should have added it to that list I sent you.
ReplyDeleteIt's been on my list for a long long time now...
ReplyDelete