Is there any such thing as Birthday Blues? You know, like Monday Blues. And if it's not a real thing, can we please make it a thing? And generally fuss about it? Because every year, the week preceding my birthday, I feel an awful sense of dread take over me. No, not because I want to be 16 again. It's not even because I've failed to accomplish some random goals I set for myself back in the day when list-making was all the rage. It's just that I feel all this pressure to be extra happy on that day and I often crack under it. It's like, I owe it to the world to wake up all wired and do something exciting on this day. If you're wondering how this is different from Holiday Blues and Valentine's Day Blues, let me point out that there is a certain comfort you can draw from the fact that other people are suffering the same pangs on those days. With birthdays on the other hand, you are singled out. You-with-no-plans-on-your-birthday YOU. You have disappointed the world.
It's awful. It all begins with that first caller who excitedly goes "SO. What's the plaaaaan?" I'm sorry, but I don't have it in me to tell this happy person that I have no plans. I usually lie and say something on the lines of "Yeah, I might go out with some friends in the evening." This is received well. I have found that telling people that you have no plans on your birthday is often interpreted as a complaint. Or you know, sulking. And now they feel responsible - like, it's up to them to cheer you up on your birthday. And while that's sweet, it's also sad (sympathy plans!) and not to mention, completely unnecessary. Also, this method gets tricky as the day progresses. By evening, the questions get altered a bit - "So where are youuuuu? What are you doingggg?" I don't know about you, but I'm uncomfortable about lying when people ask me pointed questions. So I go with the truth. But then, they want to know why. Like, one must have a legitimate reason to not party on his birthday. At this point, I usually feel like Joey in that episode of Friends where they all turn thirty. You know? Where he looks up at the ceiling and goes - "Why, God, WHY?" Two more calls on these lines and I'm almost depressed.
But see, this 'Happy Birthday' culture has been around for so long, that I'm now primed to think that this day is special. Or that it ought to be. Which means that even if I've had a fairly decent day, I'm going to feel disappointed if no one made me feel special and I didn't get out of bed with a gush of happiness in my chest. This is absurd. I am not eight years old anymore. Presents don't excite me (well, not as much at least) and the people who love me, do such a fabulous job of it on all the other days, that it really shouldn't matter if they are not particularly affectionate on this day. It shouldn't matter even if they forget. But somewhere deep inside, it does matter. And it sucks. I blame this on pop-culture priming. I mean, who is the genius who came up with the term Happy Birthday anyway? I think about it and it makes no sense. I mean, is it logical? Is it rational to expect people to be visibly happy every year on the day they were born?
What's worse is this unwritten Code of Birthday Ethics floating around. For example, if we're in the middle of a really bad fight and you're not talking to me (because I'm never the one who stops talking to people because of a fight), you still have to call and wish me on my birthday. I'd understand if you're using the birthday to break the walls, make peace, that sort of thing. But most people who follow this rule, usually make a very quick, extremely awkward call and then immediately go back to ignoring you again.
And then of course, there are the people who feel like they have to wish you because they've been doing it for many years or because they are related to you and though you've both drifted so far apart and really have nothing to say to each other, they still feel like they have to do it. Though they're secretly just waiting for the day you forget to wish them on their birthday, so that they can conveniently forget yours the next time and this pointless tradition can finally stop.
Don't get me wrong. I love birthdays just as much as the next person. As long as they are other people's birthdays. I love planning and throwing surprise parties, picking unique, thoughtful gifts, etc. But see, I only do that for the people who matter. And if it were up to me, I'd only wish the people who matter. Because to me, the only thing that makes sense about celebrating birthdays is to show people that you are happy and thankful that they are in your life. Which basically means, you consider it a cause for celebration that they were even born. Makes perfect sense.
But asking people what they plan on doing for their own birthday? That still strikes me as absurd. It's not like I even chose to be born. How is this a cause for celebration and pray WHY, am I expected to be happy on this day!
Especially since no one usually gives a crap if you're not happy the day after. It's like they're saying - "That's it, we're done indulging you. It's someone else's birthday today and that person actually has plans."
Wow! That was quite a rant. I get what you're saying though. I don't see the need to go out and celebrate. I feel you should get to do whatever you want without the social pressure but, like you said, that's a luxury these days. Maybe try a phone-free birthday once? No calls = no pressure? But then you'd have to deal with the aftermath the next day! Yikes.
ReplyDeleteThat is what I generally use my blog for these days - ranting :D Add to that the New Year's eve just a week before my birthday and the expectations are too much. Phone-less birthday is a Catch-22 situation as you pointed out, no escaping the social pressure!
DeleteThat aside, it was a pleasant surprise to see your comment here, Anuja. Thank you :)
Long time, but I feel refreshed after reading your blog! One of my teachers scolded me when I missed class because it was my birthday. He asked me, 'Vadhdivas tumchyasathi asto ka tumhi vadhdivsasathi?' After that day, I have never really forced myself to feel excited about my birthday because I get what he said. Its not such a big deal, so chill maaro :)
ReplyDeleteYes, I agree with what the teacher had to say. If at all, spend time with people close to you and have a little more fun than what you would do on any other day, but don't expect "to have a blast!". True, it's not such a big deal.
DeleteHehe, refreshed after reading all the ranting on the blog?! I feel better letting it out here. Maybe because we both have exactly the same things to say. I'm glad you feel that way though, thank you :)
I must have crossed some age line because it's been a WHILE since anyone demanded to know what plans I have on my birthday. It's apparently (and thankfully) a given now that I just don't have any or that they're not worth being broached upon. So, you do have THAT going for you then that despite the birthday crossing another year off, the all important society still deems you fit to belong to the 'must have plans on his birthday category' :-)
ReplyDeleteHaha, I'm not getting any younger and not far from being a social outcast soon :)
DeleteA very well written post! I feel the same way too about birthdays..why don't people ask me the rest of the 364 days of the year what plans do I have? Why just that one day?
ReplyDeleteI know we share the same opinion about birthdays, new year's eve being overrated. Yes, what you mention there is the crux of my writeup - my "social network" goes abuzz with messages, phone calls with best wishes on ONE day and the same doesn't really bother on finding out the rest of the year if I'm really having a good year. But then, that's why we have a thick line separating friends from "Facebook friends".
DeleteAlways happy to read your opinion on the blog, Shivangee. Thank you so much :)
Very true n thoughtful..
ReplyDeleteAsach vatata malahi.. I just can't write my thoughts so well like you.. far chhaan lihilayes.
Thank you, Swati!
Delete