Monday, December 24, 2012

Hallo from Deutschland

August 2012

It was a bit overwhelming. To be in a different place, amongst different people, in a different time zone, in a different room. To be living out of suitcases, to be worrying because your kitchen doesn't have a microwave, to be buying groceries that can be used only for 3 days and trying to gobble them down so you don't waste them, to be walking around streets looking for directions to the Indian store. It makes you realise how much you take for granted. It's a great feeling.

So in the almost 48 hours that this adventure began then, I'd managed to overturn my trolley with it's overweight suitcases, watch an in-flight documentary on Federer, make friends with an American sitting next to me in the flight (whose hosts in Pune coincidentally happened to be our family-friends), drink on the flight, learn to never underestimate the power of a pillow, lug suitcases all over the place, do a fair amount of shopping, cook some mediocre food, and meet a wonderful friend.


I felt rather grown up. I was almost certain that I'd enjoy the next one year.


4 months later, now

I can't believe I've been in Germany for four whole months! It feels like time has just flown by, and at the same time it feels like I've always lived here and my past life is just a blurry recollection. It's like there's a screen dividing my life into a before-Germany and since-Germany phase. I feel like I've changed so much and yet I'm still who I was. I'm always surprised at how easy it's been for me to adjust to a new place, a new country, a new life. The day I came here, the day I first stepped into my room, the day I first stepped into School, I knew it was going to be great. A part of me was afraid that these first days would be disappointing, things could be worse than I expected, and I knew that my heart would sink but I would still do my best to make the most of it.

But I'm rather glad that instead of sinking, my heart just raced and my mind couldn't stop repeating the word "perfect" over and over. It still hasn't. There have been good days and bad, but through all of the experiences and goof ups I've only been thankful for how much I've learned and received. The people whose paths have crossed mine, even if briefly, have all inspired me and changed me in ways that I probably haven't even realised.

I've always wanted this and and I'm so, so lucky to be finally living it.


6 comments:

  1. Its been a long time since you blogged and its really nice to know that you are in such a good place in your life! Live it & love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I am away from the blogging scene. Felt nice reading this post. Have fun :-) And I'm still waiting for pictures you promised a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really sorry for not sending the pictures yet, compilation in progress, will send soon.

      Delete
  3. So cool to read all this man. I've been reading your posts all morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is from where our association started, Carlos! I'm so happy that you are actually taking efforts to read my blog, thanks :)

      Delete