Sunday, October 31, 2010

Do animals commit suicide?

... as far as I know, they don't! So why do humans tend to commit? What makes us different from any of the animals? Intelligence? Yes, the same thing; but that's also what makes us miserable. Animals don't quite think too much. They have very basic needs like food, air, water and shelter (didn't we humans have the same a few years back?!) Only these revolve around in their minds, perhaps with the only deviation that their mind is not as evolved as humans'.

So, human mind is evolved, a little more for any body's liking. Don't you think this "evolved" mind has been responsible for every bad thing that's been happening on this planet - be it the nuclear/atomic bomb, deforestation, green house effect, scams etc. etc. ? I know some people who can go on record to say that humans are the greatest bane on this planet! Animals come, they do what they are expected to do - nothing out of the way and the biological cycle remains. Nature's fury is their fate, and no animal is going to be responsible for any of that fury. In fact, it's heart-wrenching to see they being victims of that 'wildness'.

What is the need to do anything other than meeting your basic needs? What are you going to achieve by earning $10,000,000,000 when in the end you know you can't take anything on the 'other side'? Why this race for money? Why this race for name? Why this greed? Why this pressure on children to perform well, ALWAYS? Why the self pampering? Why kill others? Why wars? The only answer I can think of is "to satisfy unnecessary needs of respective minds!". They are unnecessary, because these needs are not for survival, they go beyond survival. And so, can I safely say that, with these needs comes suffering?

In the end, it's funny that my "evolved" mind is saying that "evolved" minds are the cause for all the misery! A paradox perhaps! 

Think about it! 

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the post overall - but I was bothered by the beginning where you brought up 'suicide'. Although I see your point in using that to highlight the intelligence of mankind, I think there are so many more dimensions which go into prompting one to commit suicide that you and I will never get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is the like button for post?? Nice thought man.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Animals do commit suicide actually. When my great grandfather passed away, his German shepherd stopped eating anything and eventually died two weeks later.

    Was just passing by :)

    ReplyDelete