I'm not one of those who would hog down, but I still make it a point to try out new restaurants, dhabas, road-side stalls - absolutely anything! I know theres no dearth of such places in Pune..and I was thinking about all of my favourite hang-outs last nite - and VOILA!!! they popped up at the drop of a hat :D
Best places to be at - whatever be the mood, ekdum shimple and more importantly very easy on the pocket :-)
- Appa (Deccan Gymkhana)
Have been eating at this place even before I knew the meaning of "hanging-out"! I still remember we wrapping up the Tennis 'warm-downs' in a haste, just to have a quick bite at Appa's. Khichadi-Dahi-Kakadi; baas, ajun kay hawa aahe :-) Radhika, Neha, Tanvi, Vivek, Amit, Aalok and even aai-baba would vouch for that. I tend to get very nostalgic at this place :-P
- Mankar Dosa (Karvenagar)
This was one of those places Baba and I had "discovered" while we were on our "know-Pune-better" endeavour ;-) He offers some lip-smacking Dosas and Uthappas at a very affordable price. He even has a penchant for funky menus - aah...the latest being "Kanda Sada Dosa"!!!
- Rutuja (Prabhat Road)
This may not be the "very-easy-on-the-pocket" place, but definitely "very-hard-to-resist" place :-P My association with Rutuja started circa 2003 while in Garware, the prime reasons being close to college and a place where you could complete all your journals rather peacefully, hehe ;-)
PS: Rogerhan recommends - Double Chicken Club Sandwich
- Bipin (Karve Road, oppo Garware College)
Garware madhe astana, Comp Sc. cha sakali sakali practical jhala ki "chala Bipin"! This joint has the smallest of the places, but the 'shira', 'khichdi' are second-to-none! Never will you see this place short of patrons.
- Kalyan Bhel aka Bheleshwar (Canal Rd.)
I was quite sceptic at first to try out the Bhel/Pani-puri at this place, as I was a Ganesh-Bhel regular. Somehow, the entire idea of having a Bhel/PaPu in a very unique location, dragged me towards this place :-) The very fact of "unlimited space" pleases me and YES, am a "Bheleshwar-regular" now!
- Burger King (East Street)
Some might think this to be a very odd inclusion, but I couldnt resist mentioning this place. And no, this is not my 'hang-out' place...but a joint which perfectly matches the "Value-for-money" bill!!! This place is a STEAL, as we call it ;-)
- Shailesh Raswanti Gruha (oppo SP College)
Aata hey kuthun aala madhech, asa tumhi mhanal...pan hyacha usacha ras varcha asto! Mannya aahe ki to swataha kahich karat nahi (:-P), pan tari rasa-sathi mazi ashakya awadti jaaga ahe hi :-)
PS: Rogerhan ithla "ek jumbo" pioon bagha, asa suchvel
(ho, khaas hya thikana-sathi Marathi cha vapar!)
- Bapat Wada (Bajirao Rd., next to Raja Kelkar Museum)
Yup, another one from the "know-Pune-better" endeavour, hehe! Though, this place offers a whole lot to choose from (Maharashtrian food), I usually thrive on the pipping hot Batata Wadas, ummm! The owner has also ensured that the ones at the joint dont get bored, by displaying very unique and catchy phrases/sayings on the walls.
are,tula kay laj watate ka?u really shouldnt be writing such utterly enticing things..! :)
ReplyDeletenashib samaj yevdhya varach thambavala, hehe ;-)
ReplyDeletewhat a mouth watering post! Mala te batata wade atta have.
ReplyDeletethanks Samir! nahi, tu ithe Punyat ye, magach milnar tula, hehe :D
ReplyDeleteekk number endeavor ahe!!!....i'm planning to take out a whole day of enjoyment planned to include each of these places as far as possible....think of that roger!...a whole day!!!
ReplyDeletewhat say??? ;)
me game for it ;)
ReplyDeleteyou know what, Ranjit was so inspired by this post, that he actually made me take him to Rutuja to have a Double Chicken Club Sandwich today aft colg!!!
I was a Burger King "Regular" regular. Is Francis still there? Try out "Jaws" another burger joint just up the road, assuming it is still there.
ReplyDelete